By Peter E. Knox
A better half to Ovid is a accomplished review of 1 of the main influential poets of classical antiquity.• positive factors greater than 30 newly commissioned chapters via famous students writing of their components of specialization• Illuminates quite a few points of Ovid's paintings, equivalent to creation, style, and style• provides interpretive essays on key poems and collections of poems• comprises distinctive discussions of Ovid's fundamental literary impacts and his reception in English literature• offers a chronology of key literary and old occasions in the course of Ovid's lifetime
Read or Download A Companion to Ovid PDF
Similar nonfiction books
Additional info: trying to find a brand new vegetable crop to develop, arrange, or export? "Cultivated greens of the World" is an important reference handbook for vegetable growers, shippers, packers, produce dealers, agricultural scientists, libraries, embassies, agricultural organisations, avid gardeners, and gourmand cooks.
* overlaying all significant platforms-Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, and Windows-this advisor indicates programmers and tool clients how one can customise an working procedure, automate instructions, and simplify management initiatives utilizing shell scripts* deals whole shell-scripting directions, strong code examples, and whole scripts for OS customization* Covers shells as a person interface, uncomplicated scripting ideas, script modifying and debugging, graphing info, and simplifying administrative projects* as well as Unix and Linux scripting, the publication covers the newest home windows scripting ideas and gives an entire instructional on Mac OS X scripting, together with exact assurance of cellular dossier platforms, legacy functions, Mac textual content editors, video captures, and the Mac OS X Open Scripting structure
Useful OpenCV is a hands-on undertaking booklet that exhibits you ways to get the simplest effects from OpenCV, the open-source desktop imaginative and prescient library.
machine imaginative and prescient is vital to applied sciences like item acceptance, form detection, and intensity estimation. OpenCV is an open-source library with over 2500 algorithms that you should use to do all of those, in addition to song relocating objects, extract 3D types, and overlay augmented truth. It's used by major businesses like Google (in its self sustaining car), Intel, and Sony; and it's the spine of the robotic working Systems computing device imaginative and prescient power. in brief, if you're operating with desktop imaginative and prescient in any respect, you must comprehend OpenCV.
With functional OpenCV, you'll find a way to:
• Get OpenCV up and working on home windows or Linux.
• Use OpenCV to regulate the digital camera board and run imaginative and prescient algorithms on Raspberry Pi.
• comprehend what is going on in the back of the scenes in computing device imaginative and prescient functions like item detection, photograph sewing, filtering, stereo imaginative and prescient, and more.
• Code complicated desktop imaginative and prescient initiatives on your class/hobby/robot/job, a lot of that may execute in actual time on off-the-shelf processors.
• mix diversified modules that you simply advance to create your individual interactive computing device imaginative and prescient app.
<h3>What youll learn</h3> • the fine details of OpenCV programming on home windows and Linux
• remodeling and filtering photos
• Detecting corners, edges, strains, and circles in photos and video
• Detecting pre-trained gadgets in pictures and video
• Making panoramas through sewing photos jointly
• Getting intensity details through the use of stereo cameras
• easy laptop studying thoughts
• BONUS: easy methods to run OpenCV on Raspberry Pi
<h3>Who this e-book is for</h3>
This ebook is for programmers and makers with little or no previous publicity to desktop imaginative and prescient. a few skillability with C++ is needed.
<h3>Table of Contents</h3>Part 1: Getting comfortable
Chapter 1: advent to machine imaginative and prescient and OpenCV
Chapter 2: constructing OpenCV in your computer
Chapter three: CV Bling – OpenCV in-built demos
Chapter four: simple operations on photographs and GUI windows
Part 2: complex machine imaginative and prescient difficulties and coding them in OpenCV
Chapter five: photo filtering
Chapter 6: Shapes in images
Chapter 7: photo segmentation and histograms
Chapter eight: easy desktop studying and keypoint-based item detection
Chapter nine: Affine and viewpoint alterations and their purposes to picture panoramas
Chapter 10: 3D geometry and stereo vision
Chapter eleven: Embedded desktop imaginative and prescient: working OpenCV courses at the Raspberry Pi
From the authors of "Brain Longevity" comes a groundbreaking ebook to aid the eighty million determined americans who are suffering from persistent ache. Khalsa (Brain sturdiness, LJ 5/1/97), an integrative medication professional, is credited with constructing "the first holistic soreness administration software within the southwestern United States," combining medicine, meals, actual treatments, and psychological and religious methods.
- Biggest Fish Ever Caught
- Seascapes: Maritime Histories, Littoral Cultures, and Transoceanic Exchanges
- The Survival Handbook
- The Survival Handbook
- Non-Technical Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau (6th Edition)
- Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness
Extra resources for A Companion to Ovid
877–8 ‘he began to dismember his own limbs with tearing bites and fed his body, poor fool, by stripping it’). The critic, Cestius, noted that the thought came from ‘the fellow who ﬁlled our generation not only with lover’s manuals but lover’s sentiments’. Later in Contr. 27–8, Seneca quotes a criticism by Ovid of no less a poet than Virgil: Virgil had written, ‘all things were resting in the calm repose of night’ (Aen. 27), but as the declaimer and would-be poet Montanus reported, Ovid said the verse would be improved if the second half were cut out to read, ‘all things were of night’.
Indeed, Ovid seems to believe that all the emphasis with which poets and intellectuals had celebrated the values and virtues of the ancient Roman rural community, as if they were the only reliable guarantees of the survival of the nation, is by now outdated. He evidently thinks that there is a new public that intends to turn over a page with respect to the dark memories of the past, and in literature seeks pleasant entertainment. The success that he enjoyed seemed to show that he was right. But not everybody could share this attitude, and, on the contrary, the political and cultural scene of Augustan Rome was still evolving, and was to lead to different results.
The wife threw herself from a height. When she recovers she is told by her father to leave her husband. ’ Seneca’s only criticism is that Ovid neglected order in touching on each of the commonplaces (loci)—there must have been a list which pupils had to work into their text. 9): ‘the only problem is for you to allow husband and wife to care for each other: if you permitted them to love each other, you must also permit them to swear. But what do you think we swore by? 11): ‘I shall leave our country, ﬂee and live in exile, enduring the deprivation as best I can with wretched and cruel patience.